Monday, October 9, 2017

Saying Goodbye to Grandma Shirley

Raw moment: just over a week ago we laid my grandma to rest. When we were driving home to UT I remembered something that happened when I was a teenager. When I was a senior in high school I would sit for hours and sing, that came naturally to me, playing piano on the other hand, was hard. I had to practice a ton to be able to play one song. I had a hymn book and made a goal to learn all of the songs in it and worked my way through it. I plucked out every single song over and over. I remember one time my grandma Shirley was visiting and heard me playing one of the hymns. It was a Traditional Swedish melody. I am sure it was sung by her father or in a hymnbook of her youth. She came to me and said "Oh I just love this song. It is my favorite hymn, make sure they sing it at my funeral. " I circled the song in the hymnbook and wrote Grandma by it.
That hymn was "Children of our Heavenly Father". I wish I could have remembered in time to honor that request. Instead you get unrehearsed, no make up, funky hair, and a horrible mp3 as my accompaniment. I can't believe I am posting this because I always cringe when I see posts of people singing, but this is for Grandma.
"Neither life nor death shall ever from the Lord his children sever.
Until them his grace he showeth, and their sorrows all he knoweth."

No comments: